- In the 16th century, brass and copper were seen
as part of the "New Economy.” The goldsmith, Wilhelm Prym,
started a manufacturing business using these materials in Aachen, Germany
in 1530, and thus established a family tradition. In 1642, the Prym
family moved to Stolberg.
1924, Hans August Prym established William Prym, Inc., U.S.A. in New
York City as the exclusive U.S. importer and sales agent.
- In 1939, the company moved to Dayville, Connecticut.
- For a brief period of time, Prym also manufactured
bobby pins, paper clips, thumb tacks and wire hangers. Manufacturing
of these items ceased by the early 1950's.
- In 1946, Herman Koehl, working closely with Hans
Prym, invented the "Cover Your Own Button and Buckle." This
invention gave the Company a broader base for sewing notions and became
the basis for the present notions business.
- During the 1920's, John Dritz & Sons was
a manufacturer and distributor of beaded handbags based in New York
City. Over the years, John Dritz and his sons developed many innovative
sewing notions and gadgets, such as seam rippers, zippers and electric
scissors. In 1959, John Dritz & Sons moved to Spartanburg, South
- In 1969, the Dritz family sold their company
to Scovill of Connecticut.
- In 1980, Scovill sold the Dritz operations to
Risdon of Waterbury, Connecticut.
- In 1985, the Dritz operations in Spartanburg
and New Bedford were purchased by managers who formed the Dritz Corporation.
- In 1988, Prym acquired the Dritz Corporation
and formed the Prym Consumer USA Inc. Corporation.
- In 1990, all operations were centralized to Spartanburg,
- In 1995, Prym Dritz acquired Hollywood
Trims®, a leading manufacturer/distributor of high quality decorative
trims for home decorating.
- In 1999, Prym Dritz. acquired W. H. Collins, Inc.,
a leading distributor of sewing and quilting notions.
- In 1999, Prym Dritz also acquired Omnigrid Inc.,
a leading manufacturer of quilting and sewing rulers.
- Johan Starrenburg became President & CEO in 2002.
- In 2005, the Prym Dritz Corporation. changed its name to Prym Consumer USA Inc.
- Today, Prym Consumer USA and Canada are recognized as the leading distributors
of sewing and quilting notions and related craft accessories. Prym Consumer USA is part of the Prym
Consumer Group with manufacturing and distribution facilities located